Future West is offering Waitakere Ranges voters a fully-charged team for their Local Board in this year’s elections.
The Future West team for Waitakere Ranges Local Board election 2016 is:
- Sandra Coney (Independent) – Experienced councillor, current chair of the Local Board and member of the Waitemata District Health Board and formerly Chair of Parks & Heritage
- Neil Henderson (Labour) – Current Local Board member and employed in environmental restoration
- Greg Presland (Labour) – Current Local Board member and local lawyer and former City Councillor
- Saffron Toms (Green) – Current Local Board member and former Heritage Area Coordinator for Waitakere Ranges Protection Society
- Steve Tollestrup (Green) – Current Board member and Community development facilitator and former CEO of Tearfund
- Denise Yates (Labour) – previous Local Board Chair and former City Councillor
Future West and the 2016 elections
Please vote for Future West candidates for the Waitakere Ranges Local Board in the upcoming election: Sandra Coney, Neil Henderson, Greg Presland, Saffron Toms, Steve Tollestrup, Denise Yates
We are the team that has led your board for the last three years and made a difference. We are a progressive team and we work with our local communities to make the West a great place to live, recreate and work. We work well together to get things done.
Over the next 3 years we will
- Continue to be staunch stewards of the Heritage Area
- Protect against urban sprawl and inappropriate development
- Make our villages, town centres and rural areas better places to live and do business
- Oppose oil drilling, sand mining or ports on the West Coast or Manukau Harbour
- Work for trains beyond Swanson and feeder buses to outer areas
- Support our marae, youth, ethnic, Maori and Pacifica communities
- Improve public places in Glen Eden and support the Safety Hub
- Create more walkways, shared paths and cycleways
- Foster the arts and our heritage area artists and festivals
- Restore our natural environment and protect our historic heritage
- Advocate for action on pest plants and animals, priority for kauri dieback and better tree protection for urban trees.
Vote for us to continue the good work in September.
You can learn more about our policies by going to our website www.futurewest.org.nz
As well as a full team of candidates for the Waitakere Ranges Local Board, Future West is supporting Greg Presland for Council for the Waitakere Ward.
Local Body elections will be held in October this year. Voters must register at www.elections.org.nz or by calling 0800 36 76 56 by Friday 12 August 2016 to have voting papers sent to them in the mail.
For further information or to arrange interviews contact Sandra Coney on 021 446370
MORE ABOUT THE FUTURE WEST TEAM
Sandra Coney is an independent on the Future West team, with 15 years’ experience representing Waitakere on Council, the last three years as chair of the Waitakere Ranges Local Board. Her family has owned land at Piha for over 80 years and Sandra has written widely on the Waitakeres. She has particular interests in environment, heritage and public parks, and chairs the Council’s WW1 commemoration committee. Sandra has a background in health advocacy, a QSO for women’s health, and seeks a third term on the Waitemata District Health Board and a place on Portage Licensing Trust. Phone 021 446370 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Saffron Toms is a geographer, a member of the current Waitakere Ranges Local Board (responsibilities for environment and youth) and the proud mum of two young children. She is also deputy-chair of the Manukau Harbour Forum and chair of the Ark in the Park Governance Committee. Saffron grew up in Titirangi and Parau and is passionate about protecting the Ranges “so that future generations can enjoy our place as we do”. Saffron has achieved tangible gains on issues including kauri dieback and marine/coastal issues and wants to continue to work for good environmental and community outcomes in the face of current socio-economic and environmental challenges. Phone 021 322803 or email email@example.com
Neil Henderson is completing his second term on the Waitakere Ranges Local Board. He also represents the west on the Rural Advisory Panel, the WW1 commemoration committee and Auckland Council on an Animal Ethics Committee. His recent focus has been on walkway development and enhancing sport and recreation opportunities, but he remains a staunch advocate for environmental protection, biosecurity and community-led projects. Neil has long had family out west and has lived and worked in Glen Eden for over 10 years. Also standing again for Portage Licensing Trust. Phone 09 8180037 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Tollestrup is a member of the Waitakere Ranges Local Board and seeking his second term. He is responsible for community development, ethnic relations, economic development, safety and civil defence. Formerly CEO of TEAR Fund, Steve has wide-ranging experience of leadership, community engagement, social-enterprise, peace-building and human rights. He’s Director of Ploughshare Consulting, a service to the not-for-profit sector. He is elected to the Waitakere Licensing Trust and a candidate for re-election. Steve has lived with his family in Henderson Valley for three decades and committed to the people of the west and the protection of our special Waitakere environment. Phone 021 0433686 or email email@example.com
Greg Presland is the proprietor of Presland and Co Ltd, and has practised law out west for the past 30 years. He was previously a Waitakere City Councillor from 2001 to 2004 and was heavily involved in the Waitakere Ranges protection project which resulted in the Waitakere Ranges Heritage Area Act. He is serving his second term on the Waitakere Ranges Local Board and is an elected trustee on the Portage Licensing Trust. He was previously a board member of Land Transport New Zealand and the deputy-chair of the Film and Literature Board of Review. His local board duties include transport and resource management issues. Phone 021998411 and email firstname.lastname@example.org
Denise Yates is experienced in local government, having served two terms on the Waitakere Ranges Local Board – first term as chair, and second term as deputy-chair. Her responsibilities include arts, culture, events, facillities and libraries. Denise was previously a Waitakere City Councillor and Community Board chair. Denise is passionate about community and environment, with a lifetime of voluntary involvement, including many years with her local R&R, trustee of Ecomatters and chair of the Auckland Conservation Board. Denise listens to, supports and takes action with the community. Denise says “Please vote for me. Together we can make things happen.” Phone 027 2407135 or email@example.com
Authorised by Greg Presland, 512 South Titirangi Road, Titirangi, Phone 021 998411